Sunday, July 22, 2007

I have a big hole



I guess I'm committed. There's a big hole in the ground (about 60' across) and, I'm embarrassed to say, several old Oak trees that are going to make some wonderful flooring for someone.

Some of those trees had some big rotted areas inside, so they were due, and they blocked the light from many of the younger, struggling trees, so it's not as bad as it may seem, I hope.

To get a sense of scale, double-click on this picture to see Ted, the architect, taking a picture of the Oak we really want to save. This one will stand right outside of the kitchen and provide shade during dinner prep, and frame the right side of the view to the West.



You'll also notice a fair amount of rock below the thin coat of soil. It made for tough digging, but at least there's no clay, so we're expecting few water problems. And check out the roots that have penetrated the rock.

No comments: